Let me introduce myself
I have an insatiable hunger for learning. I am driven by a desire to make technology fun and easy to use.
Challenge is my motivation, and I find pleasure in stepping out of the box to find solutions to everyday problems.
My motto of design: Simple, clean, and fun.
Software Engineer/Data Architect, ClickFox
September 2012 - March 2014
- Invented tool for automating big data analysis and ETL design
- Modernized user interface of flagship product
- Designed ETL processes for Fortune 500 client data to perform diagnostics on cross-channel customer journeys
- Automated department's daily tasks with linux scripting
- Led design discussions for product interface
Software Engineer, Raytheon Applied Signal Technology
January 2010 - September 2012
- Designed and developed data presentation utilities in C++/Qt
- Restructured existing code to add 2x the capabilities while reducing the code footprint by 30%
- Created applications integrated with network devices, MySQL, SQLite
- Managed the build, development, and test servers
- Created a device driver for remote operation of custom hardware
QA Engineer, Control4
May 2008 - June 2010
- Created driver for automated touch panel testing
- Validated software and hardware releases
- Followed plan covering regression, release, and edge case testing
- Designed complex configurations composed of multiple hardware and software products to minimize time needed for complete system test
QA Engineer, Tomax Inc
May 2007 - December 2007
- Validate software performance against customer service agreements
- Tested point of sale and embedded inventory software
- Managed Jira issue queue
Here is a complete collection of screenshots of my sample work along with explanations on design and functionality.
I created IA Tools to automate my work as a Data Architect at ClickFox. Organization and diagramming of customer journey architectures is automated and statistical analysis tools are provided for auditing client data.
This app is a simple example that demonstrates how to use the Rotten Tomatoes API to populate a Backbone.js model, and then display that model via templates.
B.S. Computer Engineering, University of Utah
2006 - 2010
- Designed and created 3D shutter glasses for viewing ray traced images
- Built Java compiler
- Worked on a team to produce an XBox game
- 3.6 GPA (out of 4.0)
- Outside In
Explains how products have been commoditized and user experience is what distinguishes companies and directly affects their bottom line.
- HTML and CSS
An absolutely awesome example of the intersection between education and UX design. The content of the book isn't very high level, but the presentation is inspirational.
- Steve Jobs
The good, the bad, and the ugly of what created much of my inspiration.
- Artificial Intelligence
Lots of every day problems are already solved in AI. Don't waste your time reinventing the wheel.
- For something more recreational, I enjoy Robin Hobb, Brandon Sanderson, and Patrick Rothfuss
I enjoy the outdoors, reading, and spending time with my wife and kids.